The following piece is a part of our On The Radar series, including individuals that have been placed on our radar, and we encourage you to have them on yours.
On the Radar aims to get you familiar with many up and coming artists and contributors within the Christian hip hop community. Many of which, who have been gaining momentum with the their creativity and music.
LaToria is an artist who was first introduced to CHH when she released her 2007 project, A Simple Task. In 2011, she released her A01 EP and in 2014 released her project, The Long Walk, Vol. 1. Earlier in the year she released “So Natural,” a song geared towards the Natural hair community and a look at the natural beauty God has placed within.
She has been a part of the CFRN (Christian Female Rap Network), has been a featured artist on the Queen’s Tour, and has had the opportunity to share the stage with artists like Jeremy Camp, V.Rose, Trip Lee, Flame and many others. LaToria hopes to release The Long Walk, Vol.2 by the end of 2017.
LaToria is an artist that provides grittiness and truth in her lyrics, and is an artist that needs to be on your radar.
In the audio interview, we talk with LaToria about:
- An introduction to who she is and her music
- Women in Christian Hip Hop, certain stigmas, and obstacles
- Community and unity within Christian Hip hop
- Killing of Dallas Police Officers and Church community engagement
- Honest conversation about race
- True identity in Christ and The Queen’s Tour
- The Source Magazine, SXSW coverage, and women being signed with CHH
- Christian Female Rap Network, the NBA and WNBA
- 2016 Kingdom Choice Awards Nomination and advice for up and coming artists