Interview: Jackie Hill-Perry on Her New Book, New Album, Sexuality & Being Protested at Harvard
DJ Wade-O sits down with speaker, teacher, wife, mother, rapper, and writer, Jackie Hill-Perry, in her home city of Chicago. It had been over 8 months since her and Wade-O sat down, so they had a lot to cover. During this very informative interview, we get into her new book, ideas and themes surrounding sexuality and the church, her new album, being protested while speaking at Harvard University, and more.
- [0:28] – Intro
- [0:57] – Her & Preston’s move to Atlanta
- [2:04] – Thoughts surrounding JGivens “coming out”
- [8:08] – Timing in the release of her new book
- [10:35] – Her testimony in regards to her sexuality
- [13:25] – Why the Church focuses on sexuality so much
- [16:45] – When/how her mom found out she was gay
- [19:00] – How the topic of homosexuality is taboo in black families
- [20:50] – Questions about homosexuality in the context of Christianity
- [22:51] – “Can you be gay and Christian?”
- [25:10] – New album & #CHHSexism from early this summer
- [28:23] – How does Poets in Autumn make their tour work with both genders on the bill?
- [34:03] – Story behind the song, “Fall Away”
- [38:12] – Poets in Autumn vs. Family
- [41:55] – Wade acknowledges the #GlowUp
- [43:03] – Being protested at Harvard University
- [47:53] – Do you think the protesters listened?
- [49:13] – What do you mean by “converted”?
Executive Produced by DJ Wade-O
Footage Shot by JBTZ XCLSV
Video Edited by JBTZ XCLSV
Audio Edited by JBTZ XCLSV
Graphic Design by JBTZ XCLSV