It’s hard to believe, but Japhia Life has been in the Christian Hip Hop scene for 13 years. His classic Pages of Life EP dropped during a time when having a project pressed on Vinyl, Cassette and CD was a big deal. He released it in 2000, which also an era were very few believed that Christian Rappers could have a significant impact in the mainstream music market. His project was able to do both. Heralded by many as a classic, Pages of Life led to mainstream music acclaim and increased opportunities and interest in the Christian Music scene.
Since Pages of Life, Japhia has experienced so much in the music industry. Record Deals, the indy artist grind, performing on big stages and much more. Originally recorded February 11 (the day after Lecrae’s Grammy win), tune in for part 1 of his very candid interview with DJ Wade-O as Japhia Life discusses all of this and much more.
You can stream or download the show below:
In our interview, we spoke with Japhia Life about:
- 1:20 – The Reception of Westside Pharmacy and the Next Phase of Japhia Life
- 3:15 – Going back to his music Roots
- 5:37 – The Story Behind His first Album Pages of Life
- 7:15 – His transition from The Mainstream Market to the Christian Market
- 9:55 – Toby Mac and Todd Collins trying to sign him simultaneously
- 11:25 – What is expected of Christian Hip Hop Artists
- 13:15 – Thoughts on Lecrae winning a Gospel Grammy even though he’s not a Gospel Artist
- 17:56 – Lecrae’s public perception in the Mainstream and Christian Communities
- 21:09 – How Japhia signed his first record deal
- 26:04 – Meeting Rob Hodge initially thru Da T.R.U.T.H. and TWyse
- 29:00 – The Evolution of the Philadelphia Christian Hip Hop Scene
Ensure that you never miss another podcast. Subscribe here:
Read More Articles from our Japhia Life Interview Series
Please note: We reserve the right to delete comments that are mean-spirited, offensive, abusive or off-topic. If in doubt, please read Our Comments Policy.