Derek Minor talks Kanye West Comparisons, Measuring Success and Up & Away Series
Derek Minor is one of the hardest working artists in our scene. He’s pretty much released on average 1 project (Album, EP, Mixtape) per year the past 10 years and in some years multiple projects. Having come to prominence as a member of Reach Records and the 116 Clique and now as front man and co-owner of Reflection Music Group, Derek Minor is a leader.
Currently on tour with the Newsboys as in the midst of releasing a 4 part music project called Up & Away, Wade-O caught up with Derek in between tour stops in Brooklyn, to discuss, his latest installment in the series, “High Above”, comparisons to Kanye West and measuring success in the new music climate.
- 1:54 – The Thought behind the Up & Away Series
- 4:15 – Battling Depression while performing on an arena tour
- 8:23 – Lessons learned during his tenure at Reach Records
- 10:45 – Measuring Success as an Artist in Current Music Climate
- 13:00 – Developing the Concept of the Up & Away Series
- 15:55 – Why Consumers are opting to stream music vs. purchase music
- 19:38 – Reflection Music Group Current Strategy
- 22:15 – Creating an Economy within the Christian Hip Hop Community (CHH)
- 24:07 – Working with and Mentoring Younger Creatives
- 26:32 – Being compared to Kanye West
- 27:42 – Touring and Live Show Plans for the Up & Away Series